Monday, April 29, 2013

2. Sloppy Joes/BBQ Hamburger

The second recipe I made from Grandma's Recipe Box was Sloppy Joes. This was a staple in my house while I was growing up. It was enough of a favorite that it was sometimes my birthday dinner request. I was unsure what Sean and Lenora would think of Sloppy Joes and wondered if I'd still like it all these years later.

The title on the recipe card says "Barbecue Hamburger (Sloppy Joes)" with the name "Mrs. Mosman, Sr." at the top. Of all the names I've come across in the recipe box, this is one of the few that I don't recognize.

The recipe:
1 pound hamburger
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp "catsup"
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 can tomato sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown hamburger. Add other ingredients and "simmer until celery is done."
Note says "add green pepper & garlic if desired."


I used slider buns, which seemed perfect for Sloppy Joes, and served it with a green salad. Very 1970s! It was a big hit with Sean and Lenora. I wasn't as fond of it as I was as a kid. I think it needed a bit more kick. But, since it's simple, cheap, and popular with the family I'll likely make it again with a few adjustments in seasoning.

The other day I checked out The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food From My Frontier. There's a recipe for Sloppy Joes that is very similar to Grandma's recipe except it uses more spice, which I think would kick it up a notch and I will try next time. Things I'll add are garlic, red pepper flakes, and maybe some cayenne pepper. Also, per my mom's recommendation from how she used to make this recipe, next time I make this I'll toast or grill the buns.

In the end, I've decided this recipe is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment